Monday, May 21, 2007

If I'm not back in 5 minutes...wait longer!

I started work today and there was an unexpected surprise waiting for me when I got there. On my desk there was what looked like a first aid kit, and I joked that I hoped this wasn't meant to indicate that I was a First Aid Officer.

I'm not. We all have them. They are Survival Packs. That is, if someone bombs our building, I am meant to pick up this survival pack and run down the stairs with it. Well, not run, the survival guidelines follows Hitchhikers' Rules (Don't Panic!) and tell me to walk in a quick, yet orderly, fashion. I suppose that if you are going to work for a large, American company it shouldn't come as a surprise that they feel they could be targets of a terrorist threat. Especially when the word ' America' features prominently in the company name.

However, on closer inspection it becomes obvious that my pack isn't so much suited to surviving a major disaster as launching a very tops Saturday night out.

Your Average BoA Survival Pack™ includes:

FM Auto Scan Radio – to hear all those pop hits while trapped under debris.
A glow stick – in case the radio lays down some wicked dance beats.
A Beam Ring – to create that party vibe with lasers.
Goggles – a necessity for any well dressed disaster survivor/raver
Drinking Water – everyone knows that you need to rehydrate when you're clubbing under the rubble.
Boiled lollies – I think my pack may be missing this. And no, I didn't already eat them.

So there you go. You may be fatally wounded and trapped beneath what used to be your desk, but you can still have a jolly good time. This is the kind of positivity I like in an employer.

2 comments:

janomac said...

Its great having you working now - i have stuff to read when I get told to go home early from uni by my reg. And my guess is your writing it from work so your getting paid to write it. Nice. Might even write something of substance back soon! :P

(sorry, might be a little wine induced as last techgeek meeting tonight! woooooohoo! .... for 2 months at least...)

Anonymous said...

Hellllllloooooooo there Katie P,
An office that is actively worried about terrorism (though obviously not that worried considering the equipment you have been provided with). Got completely trashed with my boss last week and now a little worried to go into work tomorrow! Just joking mum and dad!!!! Kate, read the email for details! Love you!