Saturday, May 10, 2008

Industrial Complex

I have had exactly one hour of sleep, I am going slightly around the bend and I have discovered that there are NUMEROUS really cool bars in Budapest. I also have nowhere to sleep tonight which is something that I should remedy sooner rather than later.

Hung out with Julia, Finnish girl from the hostel and the two French guys. Also spent the night with actual Hungarians - nice to actually meet the locals instead of just running away from them. Briefly considered working illegally in Budapest at a vegetarian restaurant. Decided against it alhough apparently it's what everyone does. Works illegally, I mean. Not specifically at vegetarian restaurants.

First bar last night was in a big warehouse with a massive skeleton structure hanging from the roof. Music was industrial/hardcore which isn't exactly my type of thing (except for the brief moment that I wanted the Matrix Soundtrack in year 10 and thought it was pretty heavy). But it was great. Must hang out with metalheads more when I get home. Having said that, I just don't think Australia has the right type of weather for me to be a fan of that type of music in general.

Second bar was smaller. Last club was crazy - had to get in a tiny lift that only carried 5 people at a time and one of those with the guy operating the lift. Victor, the mad Hungarian intent on improving international relations was, by this point in pretty fine form.

I ended up with Julia, Eric and Manu in a park next to the hostel this morning, drinking a bottle of red wine with the cork pushed in at 6am. Talking about not much and trying not to fall asleep on the bench. Very, very classy.

Yesterday I went to the Terror Museum, St Stephen's Basilica, Heroes Square, the park around Heroes Square and some other stuff. Also manged to see the Croatian Head of State's convoy which included a lot of armed Hungarian guards with machine guns.

The next few posts will not be about bars, I promise. Julia has said I can sleep on the couch at the hostel tonight, which I am seriously considering. Tempting...

2 comments:

Jon Longhurst said...

Ha! As if your next couple of posts won't be about bars. Seriously, if one was to consider all of your blog in a wonderful computer-style computer machine, it'd be 90% on bars, 5% on rambunctious and ugly European men, and 3% about wonderfully historic architecture.

Not that there's anything wrong with the focus, of course. I quite enjoy it. Particularly when you let out little tidbits such as your Matrix Soundtrack love. That's actually a little worse than the fact that I used to have the X-Files soundtrack...

Book Club Revisited, Revisited said...

But I didn't actually BUY the Matrix soundtrack. I just thought about it. I remember getting a voucher for my birthday and buying a showtunes CD instead. Or something in that vein generally. My life and musical taste could be so different if I'd just got into Rage Against the Machine at a younger age.

And what, perchance, oh master of mathematical minutia, would the last 2 percent of my blog be about?

As a side note, I can also imagine you with an X-Files soundtrack. Any Buffy soundtracks you want to admit to?