Thursday, May 1, 2008

Another beer thanks, barkeep...

Bulgaria, Bulgaria.

I swear to God, today is the first rain free day I have had since I left the UK. Lovely. I am in Veliko Tarnovo which is a town between Sofia and Bucharest. I am continuing the Good Bulgarian Hostel experience - this one is a converted Bulgarian farmhouse. Ace. The only problem is that the town is a hill and we are the bottom of it. Calf muscles are working over time.

The Australian couple I met on the bus have provided good company in Sofia, then to here. And we've added a guy named Nathan to our temporary posse. Between us all we managed to figure out where we were supposed to get off the bus yesterday. But it was a close run thing...we mistook our destination for a rest stop and happily piled back on the bus for the last hour of our journey before we were told to get off the bus. In no uncertain terms.

Sofia was quite a small city and it was nice enough to look around. A bit sad in some ways because there is a lot of decay and ruin that they have stuck bright signs over. It's very post-soviet but the people are friendly and the beer is cheap ($1.60 or 60p per pint). The Rila Monastery was absolutely stunning - high up in the mountains it was so sedate! And the Bulgarian doughnuts weren't bad either.

Took advantage of cheap beer prices last night in VT and have been struggling for most of today. Ah well. Somehow I managed to end up with half a packet of pretzels given to me by a stranger who could see that I was trying to get some crisps at a bar that sold no food. They were cheese flavoured pretzels. I think there are some instances in which sticking to tradition is best. Salt on pretzels is one of these.

I am being thwarted by Orthodox religious holidays which means basically nothing has been open for days. Or is only open sporadically. It's making getting on the train quite a challenge.

Anyway, Kylie and Aaron (abovementioned Australian couple) are chefs and will be cooking for us tonight. After 3 nights of free hostel food we decided it would be better to find a market and make something that wasn't pasta with ketchup on it.

1 comment:

Jon Longhurst said...

Okay, i'll accept that cheese-flavoured pretzels are Bad Form (TM), but I don't think you should be necessarily complaining about tomato-sauce covered pasta. I mean, that forms the staple diet of a healthy proportion of college students world wide, consarn it.

Gift Horse, Mouth, Look etc.