Tuesday, March 4, 2008

You Woke Up My...

I have just seen one of the best gigs of my life. Seriously - Billy Bragg at the Roundhouse.

When I first got there I thought I'd arrived at the wrong place - there was a sign that said 'Support The BNP'. That seemed wrong, Billy Bragg not being known for his fascist tendencies. However upon closer inspection it actually said 'Support The Destruction of the BNP' so that was alright.

I've never been to the venue before but it is insane. I love it! It is cavernous, and as the name suggests, circular. The stage is about the height of the one at the Rosemount but the roof is about 25m high. Intense but brilliant. And there he was - this lone man who held the stage by himself for 2 hours and made me love him even though my feet hurt, I had been working until 7pm (serving a counterparty who officially hates me after consecutive services) and I'd had enough of the day.

He talked about the Clash and the Rock Against Racism march in Victoria Park (which I pass on the bus every morning), he played songs off Mermaid Avenue, Back To Basics and Don't Try This At Home. I have never been at a gig in my life with so many old men that looked the same - short hair, leather or khaki jackets, jeans, grey hair.

He also talked about his son Jack playing 'Rock Star' continually on his play station. He covered the Buzzcocks. The crowd knew ALL the words to his songs and he was quite content to just let them sing while he played guitar. Sounds like it should have been awful but it wasn't.

So - I know everyone probably saw him at Big Day Out - but it really was amazing. I have never heard the phrase 'geezer' been used that much in one night. What a champion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie P, I'm pleased you're Blogging again! I'm reading them and though I haven't heard of half the bands I am envious in a general way! :-) Love you!
Play safe! xoxoxo