Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Cute Fiend Sweet Princess

Despite the better, feminist part of myself, I really enjoyed the new Disney film Enchanted. In the way that you enjoy Grease when you are older - you get all the 'dirty' bits. Or at least the slightly dodgy bits. And then you laugh inappropriately in a cinema full of children who prefer the part of the movie that involves a temporarily mute chipmunk. Ah well.

Also interesting to note is the way that Disney Princesses have become emaciated over the years. From Snow White:


To this, in Enchanted


Just saying. I've also just noticed while searching for these photos that Snow White has got a lot thinner recently. More shiny as well. I'm all for digitally remastering, it's the not so subtle nip and tuck that seems unhealthy.

With respect to Disney Princess, it's also worth noting that they have recently had issues with 'non-traditional' female characters such as Mulan and Pocahontas not being included as part of the Princess range because they don't sell that well. Wow. Racist and sexist. Nice work Disney. I particularly like that the two most empowered Disney females that I've seen (and really, it isn't saying much that they are the most empowered of a particularly weak willed lot) are not continuing to be marketed to young girls.

Apparently the better, feminist part of me was not entirely subsumed in the happy sing along aspects of the film. Ah well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you should send these observations to Disney at the very least or to eating disorder groups.The not so subtle emaciation of female characters in Disney movies should not be ignored as it is to the detriment of young children .A very insidious way of mouldin g their perceptions in a very unhealthy.
Mogie

Anonymous said...

HI! Mum's a wierdo! Love you! I am reading this, but I don't check it often anymore because you never write on it! KISSES