Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blog For Choice

Today is blog for choice day.

And I think I should probably add something here because I have a blog and I am ardently pro-choice.

I think that woman have the right to determine what happens to their bodies. They are capable of making informed decisions for themselves. They should need the patriarchy to 'allow' them to make reproductive decisions that are right for themselves.

I am pro-choice because I trust women.

I am pro-choice because abortion will happen whether it is legal or not. When it isn't legal, it is the poor and disenfranchised that suffer. When abortion is not easily accessible, women die or are seriously harmed, whether it be emotionally or physically.

I am pro-choice because I think women are in the best position to judge whether an abortion is the right choice for them.

I am pro-choice because we've had teh alternative and it didn't work.

I am pro-choice because I believe doctors and politicians should respect that women are entitled to bodily integrity and should not be judged for the reproductive decisions that they make.

I am pro-choice because this rings true: http://spot.colorado.edu/~heathwoo/Phil160,Fall02/thomson.htm

If anyone is interested in this discussion, you should check out feministing.com - one of my favourite blogs. Jessica Valenti is my hero. One of my heroes. It shows you exactly what a woman's right to shoose means and how easily it can be taken for granted.

Happy blog for choice day.

1 comment: