Friday, June 29, 2007

Peace Train

Firstly - I am alive. Not that I wouldn't be, but I just want you to know that I definitely am.

For any of you who haven't been watching the news, there has been another terrorist 'incident' in London. Viable bombs were found in the West End and on Park Lane. Fortunately the police diffused the bombs and the only effect were some massive delays on the tube and station closures.

I can't say that I was scared, but it was an odd feeling getting on the tube this afternoon. The strange realisation that you were just there on a train and exceedingly vulnerable. It was all just so totally beyond my control. Yet apprehension quickly turned to aggravation and annoyance when I realised that I was going to have to wait 15 minutes for a train from Canary Wharf. And then because my Circle Line train was delayed.

But I can see that these 'bombs' fulfill their purpose. They undermine what you take for granted. They make you feel vulnerable where you live. For a moment. And then life goes on.

Went to the V&A Museum for the Late Night session - it was the opening of London Sing and was fabulous. There was a massive acapella choir who sung songs like 'Cry Me a River' (the JT version) and Music (Madonna). I went to musci workshops with an Indian singer and a Chinese opera singer. I sang into a tube and poured my voice out. it was so much fun - even though I can't sing to save my life. In choir in high school I used to have to sit next to louise Mcleod so I would have any chance of staying in tune. I also had to be a soprano, even though I'm really not, because they get the tune. Anything else was beyond me.

I think, however, my favourite part of the evening was when the giant, colourfully dressed choir stood in the foyer of the V&A and sung 'Let It Be'. Within moments there was a swell of voices echoing around the cavernous entry hall. Amazing.

I wish I was a Beatle. I wish I could have that kind of immortality. I wish wish that it went without saying that half a world could relate to something that I wrote on a whim.

It is 11 degrees in London and fairly disgusting. The country is literally flooding.

Also - Pete Doherty's name is not pronounced how I thought it was. He's also completely humourless. Don't take drugs kids. It makes you a boring asshole.

That's it.

As for the Drowsy Chaperone, I will save that for another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katey-Potatey,
I have to admit to being a 'scared/embarrassed/whatever' non comment leaving blog reader. For the record i LOVE reading your blog & i promise to comment more frequently. Have fun & Much Love xx

Book Club Revisited, Revisited said...

Lindsie? Is that you?
I'm so glad you commented - Carly said she'd caught up with you before she left. I hope everything is going well!

sarahscustard said...

I like that one blog post can be labelled Terrorism and Singing simultaneously.