Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Beer I Had For Breakfast

We left Beijing on the 17th of March. What is the 17th of March? St Patrick's Day. Do we have Irish people on tour with us? Yes we do. So you can imagine how the first 30 hours on a train went. I have learnt some new drinking games.

The train carriages looked like my grandmother had been given an unlimited budget to decorate with. It was all paisley and floral. Just delightful. I can't wait to post pictures.

Would you believe I arrived in Mongolia on Mongolian Men's day? I only got off the train after I was assured that there was a Mongolian Woman's day that was equally as important and celebrated.

Arrived in Mongolia to the most awesome honcho - her name is Toya. Went and saw a traditional Mongolian Theatre presentation (for tourists) and can I just say...Traditional Mongolian folk singing is the BOMB! They restrict their throat and make this vibrating sound...Gene or Coup you really need to get a sample of it for your next recording.

Later, we went to a restaurant where is cost $2 for a litre of beer (really good too) and watched a Mongolian band - apparently the next big thing in Ulanbataar. They were actually really good. They used all the instruments from the folk show but where the traditional instruments had sculptures of horses and birds on them, this rock band had skulls and painted them black! Very rock and roll!

Just got back from Ger camp - stayed there 3 nights, sharing a ger with Skye (a teacher from Melbourne) and Peter and Noel (the Irish lads). Ger camp was completely awesome. Nice tents (heated to about 32 degrees which was a bit excessive) and you looked out your door to an amazing view of snow covered mountains. Had a few snowball fights, but teh snow is now starting to melt (how, I have no idea, as it is still completely freezing).

Interesting moment came one evening in the dinner Ger when we were playing 'I have never' and Toya decided that her 'I have never' was 'I have never been a prostitute." I'm not sure if that was a lost in transalation moment or she just hadn't understood the game... either way, no one stood up to drink.

Went horseriding over frozen lakes and through forrest. Like being in Narnia. Although the horses were quite small and mine was a bit unco. Visited a Nomad family who I gave my Aboriginal dot painitng playing cards to as a gift. I don't think they were impressed. I think they liked the cigarettes and chocolates others gave better. I was just trying for a bit of inter-cultural bonding! And their tea wasn't very nice anyway. Now I have no cards for the train. Woe is me.

Also - Geghis Kahn? Prnounced Chen-gis. And he is everywhere. He has a massive square with a massive statue. Every street and building is named after him and I am lugging a bottle of Chenggis vodka around. Chenggis, Chenggis, Chenggis. I am so pleased I wasn't his younger sibling. Imagine having that to live up to.

Heading into Russia tonight. 2 nights on the train before we reach Irkutsk. Apparently the boarder crossing comes complete with its own machine guns. Something to look forward to. The lady on the Mongolian Border crossing was a total dominatrix - short skirt, knee high black boots and pink lipstick. With an army uniform. Noice.

Speaking of heels - both here and in China the women seems to be stuck in stilleto heels. I can barely stay upright in a pair of Docs yet they totter around on ice like they are wearing a pair of cricket spikes. And I still feel really tall.

Going for Mongolian BBQ tonight. We'll see how that goes.

They just started playing ABBA in the internet cafe. I think that is either a sign to get drunk or to leave the building.

3 comments:

melody.jane said...

I have a killer image in my head of you riding a horse through the harsh mongolian snow, touting a pack of Aboriginal dot painting playing cards, only to be shut down by a ungrateful nomad family. bastards. hell mongolia! good to hear your stories kate - hope vodka train is rocking! wyw xox

Steffy said...

That sounds awesome!

Meanwhile - I just cornered your sister at uni and informed her that she had to be my friend now that you were gone... she looked scared....

Keep the drinking up - I expect you to be able to drink all the other ACs under the table by the time you get home!! xx

Book Club Revisited, Revisited said...

Actually got to the nomad family on a bus. Slightly less romantic, but probably more dangerous given our driver's predisposition to speed along ice and believe that flooring it fixed any problem. Even getting stuck in mud.