Sunday, June 8, 2008

Catch Up

*Waring: This post uses the word 'breasts' quite frequently. If you can't deal with that, I am sure my next post will be anatomy free and deal only with statues and churches*

So, I haven't blogged for a while. Here's a summary.

Place I would Most Like to Move To
Berlin. They had a store where you could buy vintage clothes by the kilo and there was a happy hour every Tuesday where things were half price.

I also thought the memorial for the book burning was kick arse. The 170 tracks of Audio at the Jewish Museum was a bit much. But you can't have everything I suppose.

Best Moments
Meeting my German family which was intense.

Sunrise, town square, Krakow. After an amazing night out with some crazy Polish people.

Prettiest Place
Bled. Even though it kept raining and I decided to do a 6km walk around the lake with a bright pink umbrella and shoes that were in no way waterproof. But really, Slovenia looks like every fairytale you ever read.

Funniest Moment
My 88 year old great uncle from Bavaria telling me that I should buy a dirndle. He was trying to tell me why, but I don't speak German and he doesn't speak english. So there was quite a lot of gesturing. It turned out that he thought I should get a dirndle because I have big enough boobs to fill the front part. Thanks for that Uncle Reinhold!

German Words I Can Say
Hot, cold, big small, palace, castle, rock, swan, strawberry, asparagus, beer, wine, chilren, thankyou, how are you, water, cancer, goodnight, good morning, sausage

Mainly because they sound like the English words.

Biggest Cultural Stereotype Proved True
Italian men love women. They really, really love women. So much so that today a man followed me all the way home trying to get me to go to dinner with him. I did think for a while he was trying to mug me. Then I realised I was wearing a white shirt and it had been pissing down with rain. They're just boobs!! It is not necessary to walk several blocks in the rain for further observation!

Also, I went to a party in Bavaria with my family where they served steins of beer and women wore Dirndles without irony. That made my week.


Best Food

Currywurst

Other Random Things
I think 'The Birth of Venus' is lovely in real life. I have always liked it but it is a different colour in person. It seems lighter and brighter! Queuing for 2 hours to see it was not that fun though.

David was magnificant.

Beer gardens in Munich are ace. Ugly, naked German men are not.

2 comments:

Libby said...

Arrrggghhh my heart hurts with jealousy. Lets seriously move to berlin. Although ive more or less given up on learning the language

OPJMEAYS said...

Excellent, Kate. I'm glad to hear that Bled's top of the fairy tale stakes. We're really enjoying reading your tales. Keep it up!